Imperfect IT strategies are the most common problems facing organizations today. Thus, their IT does not match the needs of their business. Check the way for implementation of IT strategy in the article below.
What Is a Comprehensive IT strategy?
Almost every enterprise today has an IT service. Moreover, this term refers to both a department of several dozen specialists and one system administrator. However, the level of IT use in a business is determined not by how many IT professionals it has but by how consciously such use occurs. Is it just “technical support” for the main goals of the business, or is the business planning process closely related to it? In the latter case, we are talking about the emergence of an IT strategy.
IT strategy is a strategic plan for managing the development of the company’s information technologies, aimed at meeting the needs of the business and achieving the goals set for the development of information technologies used in the company. Informatization and automation of business processes in a large company is a complex and long-term task, during which automation priorities change, and various IT tools and methods are selected and applied.
The comprehensive IT strategy:
- determines the long-term goals and direction of the enterprise in the field of IT;
- as a result of application contributes to the successful existence of the company;
- is an integral part of the overall business strategy;
- develops key success factors and winning company features;
- IT strategy – COI implementation (simplified).
What Can You Get with the Most Comprehensive IT Strategy?
The main value of the development and implementation of an IT strategy is an integrated approach aimed at extracting the maximum benefit from the use of information technology and solving many problems, “weak” and “bottlenecks”, gaps, and inconsistencies characteristic of piecewise (chaotic) automation. It not only reduces costs and improves productivity but also creates the conditions for economic growth ahead of competitors.
Thanks to comprehensive IT strategies, we get:
- Better understanding of our IT capabilities.
- Understanding how IT can help us achieve our business goals.
- Ideas on how to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our existing systems and infrastructure can improve.
- Opportunities to identify new and emerging technologies that align with our business strategy.
To make effective management decisions in this area of activity, it is necessary to achieve a comprehensive and adequate understanding of the situation in business and IT, determine the goals, and sequence of informatization, and realistically assess the need, possibility and timeliness of applying a variety of products, solutions, methods, and competencies that exist in the field of IT. Based on this, various strategies are usually developed, for example, spreading goods around the hall to ensure cross-country ability, laying out goods, and planning marketing campaigns.
Avoid Technology Problems with the Best IT Strategies
Among the most comprehensive IT strategies in modern business are:
- Consolidation strategy: information resources (databases) and/or information systems and/or IT infrastructure and/or IT management;
- Import substitution strategy: databases, information systems, etc.;
- Strategy for creating a digital business platform: planning the creation of logically unified information systems, data, and IT infrastructure;
- The strategy of informatization of business processes: determination of priorities of informatization of groups of business processes of the company, determination of new functionality of information systems;
- Business digital transformation strategy: a significant (many times) increase in business benefits due to significantly more complete automation of business processes.